Saturday, May 31, 2008

Decisions, decisions...

We all make bad decisions sometime. Occasionally we miscalculate. Once in a while we fail to factor in all the facts. And boom! Bad decision.

I've made a few in my time. Usually my bad decisions are based on time management issues. You know the ones--those plans that you make with too little time factored in to accomplish everything? The ones where you didn't count on your sister arriving unannounced to stay a week? Or you had no idea that the kids would all have the measles that week?

But there are times when it's been sheer miscalculation based on someone else's reaction. Buy the big guy something for his birthday that he not only doesn't want...it's HELL, NO! he doesn't want it. What were you thinking? Oops!

Then there are the bad timing decisions. The ones where you decide to save some time by taking the freeway only to find yourself sitting in bumper to bumper traffic because of a three car pile up. Or you plan your vacation in Florida in August in the height of hurricane season and son of a gun, a hurricane comes to visit.

Sometimes decisions turn out to be poorly thought out because we are missing critical information. If the missing facts were factored in, our decision would have changed. Often these are the decisions we regret in hindsight. The woulda, coulda, shoulda decisions that we spend a lot of time re-living.

The thing I've learned about life and the decisions we make is this: We can't go back. We can't undo a bad decision. We can only go forward, hopefully having learned from the experience. It's called growing up. And if we're lucky, we keep growing until we're really old. About that time we stop making poor decisions because we've finally learned enough that we have a glimmering of wisdom.

That's why they say that with age comes wisdom...

Anny

3 comments:

  1. WOW...you can't imagine how many times I've thought...why the HELL did I do that?? I try never to dwell on it long because that can be self-destructive. As to time management, my initial reaction when things go waaaay wrong is to panic but I don't. Laughter usually helps me avoid that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect I'll keep making bad decisions until the day I drop dead. But that's okay...I need a hobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woulda, coulda, shoulda sums up most of my life. At least I make new bad decisions instead of the same ones over and over again.

    ReplyDelete