Friday, April 24, 2009

Parenting

If you're a parent, you've probably been in this position at least once in your life. If you have more than one child, then it's likely happened several times. The little one screams all night with sore gums, finally falls asleep... and you don't dare move because you don't want to wake 'im up.

There are a lot of in the middle of the night crises where the baby drops off to sleep and you hold your breath just in case. At the time, they seem never-ending. Then suddenly, your child is past that point and you're looking back with just a tinge of regret because those times are gone.

Parenting is an odd occupation. It's a series of "oh my gosh, will this ever be over" events combined with "I wish I could keep things just like they are today." On the one hand you enjoy the precious moments. On the other, you strain not to kill the kid when they do something incredibly stupid.

Such is life when your a parent. It doesn't change when they get older. You just aren't responsible for their triumphs--or their tragedies.

Someone once asked me if I would do it all over again... Yeah. Hopefully better. But yeah.

anny

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes--they're cute when they're little, but I sure don't miss diapers. As mine approach the leaving the nest stage, I both can't wait, and know I'll miss them when they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had that feeling yesterday during kdgn roundup. With my daughter, I was fine until the 2nd day of school when she went off with her brother to the school bus. Now my caboose is ready to do the same!

    Hahaha...WV is 'husigh'...huge sigh?

    ReplyDelete