Friday, September 4, 2009

Reclining...

Any one remember recliners? The recliner used to be the mainstay of the living room...always positioned directly in front of the TV. The man of the house came home from work, flopped in the recliner, clicked on the TV and promptly fell asleep. No home was complete without a recliner.

When the little ones came along, they slept best on Dad's chest in the recliner. Mom could cook dinner, wash a week's load of clothing, heck, hold a dance in the living room without a hitch in the snoring that emanated from the recliner. I used to sneak in some reading time while they were snoozing out.

Strangely enough the recliner was the man's chair. I was never very comfortable in it because I couldn't get the foot support to fold up properly unless I first rolled over the side armrest and then stood on that sucker. Who need something like that when an ottoman will work just as well?

But there was one particular thing that recliner was used for in the early years of our marriage. It was an excellent place to make whoopee. Drawing on my vast experience, I recently wrote a love scene that takes place (mostly) in a recliner. The comments from my critique partners were kind of funny. One confessed she'd never done "it" in a recliner. Another mentioned she hadn't read a "recliner" scene lately.

Frankly, I feel sorry for any underprivileged woman who hasn't had the opportunity to take a recliner for a road test. It was my favorite place until the kids were too mobile to allow us the necessary privacy. Sigh. Those were the good old days.

Now days we'd probably have a breakdown if we took one for a road test. But ah... the memories.

anny

8 comments:

  1. Other chairs, yes, recliner--nope. Never had one, and never had the guts to use the one in my parents' family room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sweetie...recliners with the vibrating seat pads were even hotter!

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 recliners - like sitting in a cloud

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have 2 recliners in our couch. Never thought about doing it there. Then again too many people around all the time. But I'll definitely keep that in the back of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weren't you afraid it would tip over backwards?

    It's been a LONG time since a chair incident...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,yes, I remember it well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Nike says - Just Do It! Go for it Anny. You only live once. (And then tell us about it of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents had a recliner but, sadly, I've never owned one. LOL Maybe I should look into that.

    ReplyDelete