Friday, November 5, 2010

Last Words

Few things are harder than deciding when to finally let an animal companion go. While a sudden death is shocking, at least the human part of the equation doesn't have to make that dread decision. But some pets live a long time. And then when they reach their last days, time seems to pick up with breathtaking speed.

Suddenly, with heartbreaking abruptness, they go from frisky to sad readiness for that final rest. Yesterday, I had to make that decision for my cat companion, Sammie. It was a good day for mourning and saying goodbye. Rainy, gray, cold.

I called the vet and made the arrangements. And said my final goodbyes. After seventeen years, it's hard. But she gave me such a look of pained puzzlement as I held her. She was hurting. She was tired. And she was ready.

Goodbye, girl. Rest easy.

anny

9 comments:

  1. Hugs Anny. It's one of the hardest decisions to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how many times we go through it, it's never an easy decision to make and it's never easy to say good-bye. Your Sammie is keeping company now with my guys at the Rainbow Bridge. I can imagine them all playing and lolling the sun as they wait for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anny, so sorry. I know it's hard. You'll miss her, but it will get easier and it was the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((((HUGS)))))
    I still cry when I remember holding Lucky as she went. But she no longer is in pain, and is happily chasing rabbits with Shadow and Keisha:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To love and be loved - we can ask for no more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

    ReplyDelete