Sunday, March 6, 2011

You have to plan for ambushes in advance...


That's the way insurance works. The house hunk will turn sixty-five in August and officially, he will be an old guy. That means he'll be on Medicare. On the other hand, I am not old so I won't be on Medicare for a few more years. So he's been on the phone for the last week trying to find out if I'll still have insurance once his retirement benefits change over.

The answer is yes. However, it appears that I will have a new plan. And that means I have to check if all my current doctors are in the new plan. If they aren't, then I have to find new doctors. All because he's gonna be an old guy.

I shouldn't complain. I have insurance. Many citizens in our country don't have that privilege. And that's the correct word because it isn't a right, it's a privilege...decided by how much money you have, who your employer is, and sometimes even where you live.

However, just because I will have insurance doesn't mean I have a choice about whether or not to accept it. Here's the gritty truth. If I don't take the insurance provided by my husband's retirement plan, then I won't have insurance because of something called "pre-existing conditions". Yep. That's right.

I have diabetes. High blood pressure. Thyroid deficiencies. GERD. Diverticulitis. High cholesterol. Heck, there's probably something else no one knows about yet. But because all of those are pre-existing conditions, insurance companies have the right to deny you coverage.

Just thought I would give all you young chickens a heads-up. Take good care of yourselves. Insurance companies don't want to offer coverage to sick people--they're only interested in well people. So pay up. Plan well. Otherwise, you'll find out it isn't covered.

anny

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up! Just another reason to keep yourself healthy. Are insurance companies out there to help us or eat us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I've had little evidence of help...

    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't keep the doctors you want? Seriously? And this is a westernized country...bizarro world

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that picture!
    I have an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anny, I thought you must be part of the crusade but the link that you left when you followed took me to goddesses...Thx for the email with this link, amongst others.

    As an Aussie I cannot comprehend a free-world country that has such an horrific health plan. Sure I glean most of my knowledge of this from Michael Moore but I'm sure there is a ring of truth to it.

    In Australia everyone is covered by Medicare and most of us carry private health insurance as well just to make sure we can go to the doc/hospital of our choice. We are pretty spoilt compared to you guys but some other countries are even better!

    Denise<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, the hunk and I have pretty good insurance. But since he's retired, we're pretty much stuck with whatever they provide. And that can change every time the union signs a new contract. Nice, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anny, I thought the new health care laws did away with the 'pre-existing' stuff? That is, a PEC cannot be used to deny you the kind of coverage you want.

    Of course, you may not be able to *afford* the coverage ...

    ReplyDelete