Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lights Out!

There are individuals (we won't mention names) who thrive on cleaning. Clean house. Clean clothes. Clean car.

I'm not one of those people. If things are down to a dull roar, I'm perfectly happy to live that way.

I have absolutely no interest in looking for dust bunnies under the beds or moving the refrigerator out to clean the floor under it. My curtains are not taken down weekly/yearly to wash. And as long as I'm not tripping over something on the floor, I'm content.

That doesn't mean I don't know how to clean. I'm just not interested. My philosophy is slightly different. It seems to me if you always put items back as soon as you finish using them, then the cleaning is minimal.

Where I run into trouble is shopping.

Have you ever noticed when you come home from the store you have a bunch of stuff to put away? Except by the time I shop, carry everything in, and set it down, I'm exhausted. Then I'm supposed to put stuff away? No, no, no.

I've taken to weighing how much trouble any particular item is going to be before purchasing. Really. If I'm going to have to move three pieces of furniture before I can put that rug down...well, how bad could I possibly need that rug?

See? Simple. And think of the money I save...

anny

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree with you. Cleaning? Yep I can do it but I prefer to avoid it. Pukeable grocery shopping? You're one of the few people I know who understand it's not the getting it's the putting away that's a pain in the arse

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get older, I understand why my mother began delegating the 'put-away-the-groceries' job to my sis and I....she was EXHAUSTED!

    Fortunately, my kids have slowly picked up on the helping out in that area, and when I arrive home, I usually tell everyone in the house "If you want to eat tonight, get your butts out there and start carrying in stuff!"

    Works like a charm...Now if they'd just help out with the dishes a little more....

    ReplyDelete