Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Floating Your Boat...

By rights, this post should be about floods...but actually, it's not. It's about the variable tastes of our readers vs. the books authors are producing. I can't tell you how many notes I've received from my readers asking for a new Mystic Valley book. Or a new Flowers book. Or the sequel to Alpheli Solution. Or...but you probably get where I'm going with this.

As a reader with my own favorite series, I completely understand. As an author, I also understand the view from the author's chair. It's kind of like eating tuna every day. I like tuna. Really, I do. But sometimes I have a taste for something different.

The reader reaction is not always favorable. There's nothing so disheartening or sad as a fan letter that lets you know the reader wasn't impressed with your new endeavor because it was different. In other words--it didn't float their boat.

I say, try it. You just might like it! After all, the new story/series/etc., came from the same pen and writing skills as the stories you like so much. Give it an honest un-biased try. Yes, I know it requires more effort to get to know a new set of characters, but they really are a great bunch of people. I like them. You might grow to like them, too.

You just might find the new stories really do float your boat!

anny

3 comments:

  1. I agree Anny. New characters can be awesome. If I like an author I consume all their books regardless if it's part of a series or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta admit, I wasn't willing to try Chrysanthemum or Phantom's Rest until about the umpteenth time I saw an excerpt posted, and then actually READ THEM! LOVED both of them, and am ready to give Alpheli a try in the near future.

    Just slap me upside the head with an awesome excerpt the next time you feel I'm dragging my feet, lol....

    Hahaha...WV is 'poryou'...I found it humorous, anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People generally follow the market in writing or whatever. If X is flavour of the month, they will read it, do it, eat it. I say put whatever your passion or pursuit is out there. Everything has it's own time be it books and people.

    ReplyDelete