Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday approaching!

Actually...when you're retired, every day is a Monday. When you're spouse is retired, every day is a Saturday.

When I was younger, life centered around the hunk going off to work and the kids going to school. Now those things are irrelevant. Each day has a sameness unbroken by schedules. I've come to the conclusion that it is that sameness that makes retirement more difficult.

Two weeks pass...three weeks...and suddenly entire years have gone by unremarked. The passage of time is more swift--and alarming--because you don't realize it's gone until you look at a calendar. It's mid-October already. Wait! Where did the year go?

anny

2 comments:

  1. I thought the Monday feeling would be changed now that I telecommute and work from home every day. I don't feel quite the stress I used to feel at the start of work week, but there is still a sense of "damn, where did my free time go?" on Sunday evening. And at the end of the day (usually for me, 6 pm., when I log out of my home work computer), there's a feeling of: NOW I have free time again!

    I don't think I'll have that blurring of days until I finally hang up the Paycheck Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. The spouse is constantly asking me what day it is. He needs a hobby other than TV, and I do manage to get him out of the house to take the youngling to scouts and football practice. But during the day he drives me NUTS!

    ReplyDelete