Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fair or Not

When my daughter was about twelve, I remember her stomping into her bedroom, muttering, "That isn't fair!" Well, no, life in general isn't fair. I have a theory that the sooner a child learns that lesson, the more capable they are to manage their life.

My first experience with the total unfairness of life was the night my mother died in a car accident. I was ten. It was like taking a huge blow to the chest. How was I supposed to go on with life?

But I did. That night was over fifty years ago. We cope with the most appalling events and move on...because life is not fair. The sooner we stop expecting it to be fair, the better we are at dealing. That's the point where we look around us and say, "We'll be all right." No, not immediately. Not even next week or next month. But eventually, life will move on and we'll be stronger for it.

Paul the Apostle had some wise words he wrote in a thank you letter while incarcerated in a Roman jail. "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4: 11-12 Wise words.

I suspect that's the true secret to happiness. Contentment in all circumstances, whatever, wherever we might be. Fair or not, while we make our way forward to more settled times.

anny

1 comment:

  1. There is not such thing as fair. Stuff happens - we drop our bundle and whine about fairness or we move on and deal with stuff. That's what I measure people by

    ReplyDelete