Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Deck the Halls

If someone came to our apartment, they would have no clue Christmas was just two weeks away. At times during my past, I spent hours decorating the house, hanging wreaths, putting up the Christmas tree, stringing lights.

I'm not particularly in the mood this year to do all that--and I'm not sure why that is so. The idea of putting everything away after the holiday just makes me tired. Am I depressed? Not particularly. Mostly, I just want a bit of peace and quiet.

My idea of decorating centers around small things. A candle tart shaped like Santa. The ceramic nativity we've had for at least thirty five years (wasn't that a good buy?) We have a Rudolph hanging a friend made for us about thirty years ago when we first moved to New York. That's about it. Just enough to remind us it's Christmas. Not enough to engender hauling out boxes and boxes of stuff.

It's the same for cooking and baking. To be brutally practical, the hunk and I are not supposed to eat most of the goodies people look forward to gorging on during the holidays. Cookies, pies, fudge, and all that other stuff just upsets our innards and makes us grumpy. Why make it, then? Oh, maybe one batch of cookies, but after that...well, I'd rather read a book or knit.

Shopping at our house is a non-event. I mail my kids money to shop for the grandkids. And I send my folks a giftcard. And that's it. Retirement is not a time of life where you can afford to spend widely. We have sufficient to live frugally, but that's it. Fortunately, our kids understand.

I think this year's watchword is contentment. This year I'm content with less instead of more. Not only content, but at peace. There were times in the past when I was not. Perhaps as I get older, I'm finally understanding the truth.

Christmas isn't about things. It's love for our family and friends and thankfulness for what we have.

I have to go now. There's a candle tart to light and music to play and memories to share.

anny

2 comments:

  1. As long as your happy that's everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year in my house the motto is - "Less is more". Not overly decorated and not spending an arm and leg. Everyone feels the same way.
    We do have a fully decorated 9 foot tree! :)

    ReplyDelete