Monday, December 3, 2012

'Tis the Season

I'm not ready for Christmas yet. Surely, I'm not the only one feeling this way? What's the rush?

It's not a matter of shopping or feeling "bah, humbug". I'm just not ready. Thanksgiving was just over. Now everybody is on this jingling race to Christmas. And then? A week later it will be New Years with the ringing in of 2013. Where did the year go?

Am I the only one who feels the frantic feverishness around me? I want to call a halt to the rush, urge people to slow down, have something hot to drink, and curl up with a good book or movie. Maybe just stop the merry-go-round.

Every year the race is more out of control. What if we stopped giving presents (MANY of us don't need them), and started serving those around us who quietly, desperately struggle through each day? What are we really celebrating, anyway?

Over the last few days I've read numerous lists from children demanding all manner of electronic media. Not one doll. Not one board game. Not one baseball glove or bicycle. I have to wonder why we need more electronics. And I worry about the Me, Me, Me, Me generation we're rearing.

There are people living in the dark and cold still. People who are homeless, people who are hopeless. Isn't this season--whether pagan or christian--about hope?

Or is it?

anny 

2 comments:

  1. I have never felt the need to give into Xmas greed. I believe thats because I am an individual capable of forming opinions and acting wthout being told I MUST do this or that by advertising hype. Also being an atheist, I find it amusing that all these good 'Christians' will kill each over a shopping parking lot or fight to the death to get a present snotty little Bobby wants becuase his idea of xmas is greed and not the legend of peace and harmony etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. So not ready but then I don't give many gifts. Or cards. This is a stressful time of year.

    ReplyDelete