Friday, November 15, 2013

And then...

Most stories begin with a 'what if' idea. The author then proceeds in an orderly fashion to discover the answer to all the what ifs. Occasionally, something happens and the story wanders off (or heck, it even flees!) the track. Dragging a rebellious story back where is belongs isn't always worth the effort.

I think the rebel story is more interesting. I once had a notion to write a trilogy about three sisters who go to Camelot with their father in search of husbands. It was a valid idea. I chose names for the characters and began the story setup. By the end of the first page, I knew the story wasn't going to cooperate.

The characters blithely romped off in quest of adventure, new characters insisted on shoving their way onto the stage, and none of the sisters behaved like they were supposed to. One married the butler. Their father turned out to be a traitor. One of them ended up with Merlin as a father-in-law. There were dragons and trolls and unicorns.

Sigh.

Once I let it roll, I had a great deal of fun. Some of my most memorable characters strolled on the stage during the days of Flowers of Came-a-lot. Percival and Bart, the dragons. Robin Hood and his wife, Delphie. Peter and Dick, the firebird twins.

I sometimes wonder if we try too hard to fit in the acceptable mold instead of allowing ourselves to explore 'what if'? Maybe there's a reason the vast majority of books all sound alike. Why not see where the story goes when it runs away?

We might discover entirely new territory.

anny

5 comments:

  1. Hey, if you're writing MG, go wild! I think that's the only place pure imagination is still allowed--other than picture books. But honestly, in this day of indie publishing, you should just go with it. Whatever comes out, as long as it's entertaining, why not put it out there? We live in a new age. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal! I'm a bit of a free spirit...we'll see what happens!

      Delete
  2. Yep, lots of writers out there too scared to go against the norm. Lot of same old same old books out there. Acceptable mold? Bugger that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've never quite made it back from the edge...

      Delete
  3. I love unusual stories. Once I begin reading I can tell within a few pages if any given story is going to be a repeat of something I've already read. If the treatment is unique enough, I'll continue. If it's the same old same old, I won't make it past the first chapter.

    ReplyDelete