Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday Ponders

Opened my feed on Facebook this AM. There was the usual issue-of-the-day...guns, Trump, politics in general, DST, blah, blah, blah...cute cats and dogs, pithy sayings, inspirational quotes (some made up--and misspelled), and lots of ads for books, socks, clothes, and food videos.

I wondered again why I bother. And then I recalled the interesting post Linda Howard did on surviving a blizzard. And the post on Missouri's marriage age laws (there are none). And the Smithsonian article on Harriet Tubman on the $20. So...there are occasional nuggets in the flotsam. I don't remember if it was always this way. Or is this something that's taken on a life of its own in the last couple years?

I jettisoned Twitter long ago. Yahoo. So many others. Why do I hang in here?

Mostly, it gives me a place to stay in touch with friends and family. And yes, there are certain people whose opinions interest me, so I seek them out and read their words. The rest of it, I hide. I figure if Facebook can hide my posts, I can hide theirs.

More and more, I am convinced they are only showing posts in a targeted fashion. At first, I just ignored all the craziness, but you know? I'm done with that. There's a function that allows us to hide posts, so why not use it? When you see the same three stupid posts for days, it's time to move on.

Of course, it might be other people out there find MY posts annoying. So be it. Fair is fair.

May the best poster win.

No comments:

Post a Comment